Re: [Hampshire] Replacement hard drive question

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Replacement hard drive question
m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> Quoting Keith Edmunds <kae@???>:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:09:33 +0100, tony.lambert@??? said:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any horror stories about certain brands of hard drive,
>>> and would avoid at all costs ?
>> Ask enough people and you'll get all brands covered. If any one disk
>> manufacturer consistently produced bad disks, they'd go out of business. A
>> lot of people seem to dislike Maxtor: we used them for a long time in
>> servers without problems. What does that prove? Nothing, really. I was one
>> of many bitten by the IBM DeskStar (aka "DeathStar") drives, which put me
>> off them, but I'm sure IBM drives today will not suffer the same problem.
>
> IBM hard drive business is owned by hitachi now i think.
>
> Maxtor is owned by someone seagate? and is used as a cheap/low end brand.
>
> Custom PC magazine has done some good tests this month on hard drives with the
> samsung 750GB being the fastest sata drive.
>
> Martin N

I had 2 maxtors in my PC and one overheated (probably not cooled enough)
so replaced it with a Samsung (from quietness comparisons). This ran
quiet and cooler than the other Maxtor (both located in the same place
with some cooling mounts) so bought another Samsung and flogged the
Maxtor on Ebay. So far very happy with them (over 2 years now).

One thing I miss from my Windows system is a couple of little icons in
the system tray which show the temperature of each drive in degrees C
(free utility Dtemp). Just flipped over to Win (dual booted) - drives
are showing 38 and 39 degrees. Maxtors were in the high 40s (can't
remember precise figs) - not a real problem but I prefer quiet and cool.

Russell