Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:37:20 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> Compared with
>
> http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/849/eeepccolourpa9.jpg
>
> It's individual taste of course. But having experienced people come
> over to pick up the Eee and fawn over it, I _really_ can't see the
> same thing happen with the One.

I have in fact recommended she gets the Asus if she can afford it
but felt duty bound to tell her about the Elonix.

I am aware it is possible to get full size laptops pretty cheaply,
even if not as cheap as the Sony Vaio I got from a LUG member for
another daughter* which only cost me a little more than the price of a
replacement battery, but offers like that one don't come every day.

The 'Gadget Show' the other night suggested going to Tottenham Court
Road for cheap laptops, etc. That is fine if you live in London
but the cost of getting there from Bournemouth would add quite a lot
to their prices.

In any case I think these very small laptops are ideal for young
children with their simplified menus but otherwise pretty full
featured.

The daughter concerned would be able to get staff discount if
Tesco were still stocking the Asus but they don't currently list it
at Tesco Direct.

*I have five :-)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server