Re: [Hampshire] OT: the curious incident of the NTLDR file i…

Author: m.nuttall
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: the curious incident of the NTLDR file inthemultiboot system
Quoting Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???>:

> m.nuttall@??? wrote:
> > Quoting Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???>:

> >> windows
> >> solve

> >> windows xp

> >> Then
> >> can

> >> Yes, ntldr should be able to boot anything, including Linux. Do both
> >> W2000 and WXP have the same idea of which partition is C: ?
> >
> > yes i have checked that c is the same partition in both oses.
> >
> >> And what's
> >> in C:\boot.ini
> >
> > I don thave to touch boot.ini to get anything to work so i would of thought
> that
> > would suggest that its correct.
>
> OK, so what is actually giving you the choice of OS? Grub, or LILO, or
> the Windows boot mechanism?

I am using boot.ini but since i can change ntldr to get success i would think
the boot.ini is correct

> You also mentioned that it worked until a few days ago. What changed?

I dont know to be honest, which is what puzzles me.

> Just in case though:
> >

> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=7
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
> Professional
> > s:" /fastdetect
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="PATA Windows XP Professional
> F:"
> > /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
> > C:\="Microsoft Windows ME"
>
> The default entry doesn't match any of the others, which must be wrong,
> but that would only matter if you're actually using boot.ini.

Yes i realised that after sending it.

I was trying to edit out the default option to make it more clear/simple and
made it more difficult :(

Anyhow i have suceeded with Alex phillips suggestion of different ntldr in each
os partition and using grub to point to c for xp and hda1 for w2k.

So thanks for the suggest alex and to you chris for the response.

Martin N