Re: [Hampshire] Persuading a school to start using FOSS

Author: Roger Munford
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Persuading a school to start using FOSS
Unless given by somebody like Rory Bremner, a presentation about
operating systems would be difficult to make entertaining for everybody
unless they have an interest in the subject. Just concentrate on making
it interesting for the few who are interested. The list is very
occasionally entertaining but we read it because it is interesting.
It seems to me there are two aspects to open source that make it
interesting. It is almost certainly cheaper and can be more reliable
than proprietary software to do the same job and is (should be)
therefore of interest to the business community . The other aspect is
that anybody can see how any software component works, experiment and
build anything you like and for free.
Aim the presentation at the second group with the message "please try
this at home". If a few get inspired then job done.

For entertainment you could show
http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/gates.asp, a pin up of Bill Gates
seductively tossing a "floppy" (Quick take the picture before it
crashes) or for top rate entertainment 1 min 30 secs of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k0qZDdfvZk (Brian Johnson corpsing) cant
fail.

The presentation by the two Alans of the open learning centre seems like
it would be extremely effective. I would go so far to say that it could
form the basis of an event on Software Freedom Day in September.
It may be feasible to get some sponsorship from our local big OS
supporter (IBM) to pay for a cup of tea and hire of a suitable venue
(University perhaps) and perhaps a couple of ads in the Hampshire
newspapers. It would be up to us to organises and publicise the event by
getting it into diaries like the Chamber of Commerces, Business Link and
the apparently countless organisations that support small businesses. I
can think of a half dozen people from small business, health service etc
who I could personally invite. Those in business themselves could invite
their client list and it may be an opportunity for those to spread a few
business cards around.

If there is enthusiasm for this idea, now would be the time to start the
ball rolling.

Roger