[Hampshire] [OT] Disturbing Gmail observation.

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Disturbing Gmail observation.
Actually, something a little curious here. And perhaps sinister. read on...

As I guess you know, I use a gmail account for my mail.
And as you may also know, Google gets (some of) their revenue by
putting 'targeted' ads on the sidebars of their gmail web page.
And you may also have heard some mutterings about the security of
people letting Google see their mail.

Today I got a mail from a colleague. He had sent it to himself, Bcc:ed
to a list of recipients. Obviously, none of the recipients can see who
else is getting the mail. But I suspect Google leaked a clue into its
sidebar ads.

Quotes from Google Mail Help page:

Sidebar links

Google Mail uses a completely automated process to provide useful
information and relevant ads in the sidebar of your Google Mail
account pages:

Ads and Related Pages
Ads in Google Mail are placed in the same way that ads are placed
alongside Google search results and, through the Google AdSense
programme, on content pages across the web. The goal is to provide
users with helpful ads, links and content relevant to their specific
interests. Google Mail is a technology-based programme. Advertising
and related information are shown using a completely automated
process.

... Google Mail displays text ads using our contextual advertising
technology. These ads should be relevant to the content of your
messages and we hope you'll find them useful.

<end quotes>