Re: [Hampshire] How can I check which files are most accesse…

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How can I check which files are most accessed?
On Tue, Apr 01 at 12:51, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can I check which files are most accessed on a box?
>
> Is 'lsof' the way to go?

You need the inotifywatch command from the package sys-fs/inotify-tools
on Gentoo, don't know the Debian/RH name but I guess it'll be similar.

To quote the man page:
inotifywatch listens for filesystem events using Linux's inotify(7)
interface, then outputs a summary count of the events received on each
file or directory.

Set it to watch the files of directory tree you are interested in over a
period. It then prints a useful stats table. ie:

$ inotifywatch ~rjd/*
Establishing watches...
Finished establishing watches, now collecting statistics.
total  access  close_nowrite  open  filename
57     29      14             14    /home/rjd/install/
12     10      1              1     /home/rjd/install/sensors.conf
8      6       1              1     /home/rjd/install/kernel26-config
4      2       1              1     /home/rjd/install/penguins.xpm.gz
4      2       1              1     /home/rjd/install/xorg.conf
3      1       1              1     /home/rjd/install/chroot_sequence

--
        Bob Dunlop