[Hampshire] VirtualBox Networking

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] VirtualBox Networking
Hi all

If someone's got 5 spare minutes and an Ubuntu box, could you do me a favour please?

I'm trying to arrange for several VMs to be able to see each other which apparently requires the creation of a network bridge. This is so easy in XP it's almost untrue but in Ubuntu, I'm a bit lost. There's a very helpful tutorial at [1] but I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong because all this does is switch off the networking on the host (no web, no ftp, not even a ping is possible) - not quite sure how but the only way I can bring it back up is to restart. I can't see what I'm doing wrong but it would help if someone else could try it and let me know where I'm going wrong.

Cheers
Rob

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox#head-ac88c03223e773c78dbb46b4b13c109de1143a03