Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 at 10:34:00AM -0000, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Morning all
>
> Can anyone think of a reason why I'm getting disk errors when doing an
> install to a virtual machine when using the same install media I don't get
> errors doing a standard install (without virtualisation)? It beats me -
> but I'm still learning with VirtualBox. I've googled a few variations of
> VirtualBox+Slackware but not found anything.

I found using physical media a pain and I convert phyiscal media
into iso files, or simply use a downloaded iso file directly
without bothering to burn it to CD. It has the twin advantage of
being both a lot faster and more reliable than read CD/DVDs. Both
VirtualBox and Qemu are happy to mount iso files as CD/DVDs.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon