Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5823e100.hantslug.org.uk.25450': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 18 22:53:00 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:27:56PM +0000, Tim wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 March 2008 21:56:33 john lewis wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:05:22 +0000
> >
> > Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
> > > Have you mounted the cdrom at the Virtualbox admin console for that
> > > instance?
> >
> > Thanks for that tip Sean. Doing that means a windows app that
> > previously reported no disk in drive can now see the data disks.
> >
> > Only problem now is that it won't let me open the CD drawer once I
> > have finished with the CD or need to change it (one data set I use
> > consists of 5 CDs). Clicking on the drive icon and telling it to eject
> > does nothing.
> >
> > But at least I don't have to wait until my wife isn't using her
> > W2K system to access stuff on the CDs and it is a simple matter to
> > shutdown, remove the CD and re-start virtual windows.
>
> Can't you put a straighten paperclip in the little hole on the front of the cd
> drive to release the cd draw??

I really wouldn't recommend that. It could well stuff up the
driver, requiring a reboot before you can use the CD-ROM again.

Most virtualisation systems (VMware and qemu certainly) offer
options for switching out a CD or CD image, and replacing it with
another. I would be surprised if VirtualBox didn't allow it. Take a
look through the documentation again?

Hugo.

                 --- This year,  I'm giving up Lent. ---