Re: [Hampshire] Unsupported Etch updates

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unsupported Etch updates
On 13/03/2008, Russell Gadd <russ.mail.lists@???> wrote:
> I previously (fairly recently) asked for advice on which distro to use
> between Debian Etch, Debian Lenny, Ubuntu, Fedora. After reading all the
> contributions I plumped for Ubuntu. However I came up with a problem in
> OpenOffice. In a Calc spreadsheet file it would not print any sheets other
> than the first. I filed a bug report and got an answer that this was fixed
> in the upcoming Hardy so it was going to be ignored for Gutsy.
>
> This meant I couldn't use Ubuntu for one of my applications so I had to
> continue with Windows for the time being. Not a big deal for me at present,
> although I am now questioning whether Ubuntu is the right choice.
>
> I really much prefer to wait and run stuff after it has been properly tested
> and debugged, so Debian Stable really appeals to me as a system more than
> Ubuntu. (I also much prefer simplicity rather than fancy stuff - I'm not
> sure if Ubuntu is going down the line of being too bloated).

This is the big difference between Linux and Microsoft.
With Microsoft, you never hear about the bug fixes, until they reach
the stable distribution. (microsoft updates site)
So, if you have a microsoft app and it has a bug, you don't get any
feedback from MS or any date to a update. It just might eventually
arrive.

With Linux you hear of the bug fix immediately but are not prepared to
wait for it to reach a stable distribution!

For your specific example, you can always get the latest openoffice
from the openoffice.org web site and install that over the top of your
current one.

You don't have to wait for it to reach the stable distro. You can make
exceptions for particular apps if you so wish. It just takes a little
bit of effort.

James