Re: [Hampshire] QEMU / KVM

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] QEMU / KVM
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 08:22:16PM +0000, Simon Capstick wrote:
>> It looks like my VIA C7 just doesn't have the oomph for kqemu to run
>> Windows XP fast enough to be useful. A faster Intel/AMD processor with
>> virtualisation extensions looks necessary for this. I guess I will be
>> powering up a noisy XP box occasionally instead.
>
>    You can run qemu-based systems (qemu,kqemu,kvm) on a remote server
> and connect to them over VNC, if that helps.

>> Am I right in presuming I can't run KQEMU or KVM on a (noisy but remote)
>> server running the Xen hypervisor?
>
>    kqemu *may* work, but I wouldn't guarantee it. KVM almost certainly
> won't work.

>    Hugo.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming this. For the time being I
have managed to speed up KQEMU a bit by disabling ACPI [1] in the
Windows XP VM. The trouble is the qcow2 image is on a LUKS encrypted
external disk thus crippling my performance further.

Simon

[1] http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Windows_ACPI_Workaround