Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

Author: Andy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer
On 13/03/2008, Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
> Am I missing something, but is this content DRM-protected or not?

No. The MP4 file had no DRM.

> The second statement appears to make a mockery of the first.

No it doesn't. DRM provides no additional security.
Security is defined by the weakest link in the chain.

Currently that is the Over the Air transmission.
Coming in a close second is the path from screen to users eyes (no
encryption, but in analogue).
Following that is DVD (encrypted but with weak keys)
And probably after that is MS DRM.

Provided the method they use is no weaker than the current weakest
(over the air, plaintext) then they have not changed security.

Thus not DRMing a file is not compromising security as it was already
available unencrypted being blasted out from transmitters.

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath