Re: [Hampshire] Sarge and security updates

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sarge and security updates
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:42:03 +0000
Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.caren@???> wrote:

> john lewis wrote:
> > anyone running sarge should be aware that:
> >
> > Security support for Debian 3.1 (aka sarge) will be terminated on
> > March 31st this year. We decided to do the same for
> > sarge-backports, there will be no more updates after March 31st.
>
> Is this due to it being start of a new financial year of because
> it is my Birthday?
>
> If the latter why pick my BD for 'bad stuff' :-(

http://www.us.debian.org/News/2008/20080229

"One year after the release of Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 alias “etch” and
nearly three years after the release of Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 alias
“sarge” the security support for the old distribution (3.1 alias
“sarge”) is coming to an end next month. The Debian project is proud
to be able to support its old distribution for such a long time and
even for one year after a new version has been released.

The Debian project released Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 alias “etch” on the
8th of April 2007. Users and Distributors have been given a one-year
timeframe to upgrade their old installations to the current stable
release. Hence, the security support for the old release of 3.1 is
going to end in March 2008 as previously announced."

Happy Birthday :-)

I thought it might apply to me but when I checked my server box I
found I had already updated it to etch.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server