[Hampshire] Need a tutorial on how to save writes os flash d…

Author: Ottavio Caruso
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Need a tutorial on how to save writes os flash drive
Hello people,

for some reasons I am considering getting more trouble than I can
possibly handle.

I am looking for reference/tutorials on how to reduce writes on a flash
drive, after performing a traditional Linux installation on it.

I know I could go through the tried and tested way of installing some
sort of live image (slax, dsl, knoppix) but I am a bit put off by the
fact that they don't provide with a transparent way of installing
applications.

I don't really like klik and other similar package managers, I would
like to boot my slackware from a couple of qemu images natively from the
drive.

Then I would like to find a mechanism not to wear the drive too soon.

I could mount some directories on tmpfs, but which are the directories I
should mount?

Or should I go through the unionfs route and mount the whole root on
unionfs, but how can I tell the o/s to synchronize at shutdown?

Knoppix and puppy have this implemented but I couldn't find any
reference or at least none I could digest.

Thank you