Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10

Author: Martin Wimpress
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Intermittent freeze-up with Ubuntu 7.10
Imran Chaudhry wrote:

> Yep - the problem seems to be worse with "Appearance" settings on
> "Extra", less worse when set on "Normal" and no problems so far with
> "None".

I can confirm the same on two of my workstations both running Ubuntu
7.10, one laptop the other desktop. If I enable "Extra" I can expect X
to lock up hard at least once or twice a day. Running "None" I have no
issues at all.

> A shame as I find the "Normal" setting a nice trade-off between bling
> and usability. I'm running with the nVidia proprietary driver
> ("nvidia") and will try the GPL Nvidia driver ("nv"). I will report
> back here about it later.

Both my workstations have Nvidia cards and use the proprietary driver.
Nice to know I am not alone on this one :-)