Re: [Hampshire] Debugging pipes

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debugging pipes
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 22 at 10:59, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> If I run exim and cyrus-imap inside gdb, this also does not help, as
> the process used to do the receive into cyrus looks like a fork or
> exec from the cyrus-imap process, and gdb does not attach to them.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of how I can track this down a bit more?

You might try "strace -f" on the process to narrow things down. The -f
will cause strace to follow the action across the fork/exec boundry.
Unfortunatly I don't think gdb has a similar option.

Otherwise I'd put a wrapper around the thing being exec'd to envoke
gdb just for the subprocess.

If all else fails a scattering of printfs in the final code usually
helps.
--
        Bob Dunlop