Re: [Hampshire] Backup solutions for Ubuntu

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup solutions for Ubuntu
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:27:50 +0000
alan c <aeclist@???> wrote:

> I think rsync and its derivatives respect differences
>
> I have not looked far but rsync is basically command line so may
> take a bit of getting used to.

I too use rsync for keeping my main system and my laptop in sync with
my dataserver, or rather the bit of the server that holds my data.

It is a command line tool so may seem strange to someone coming from
windows. But I use the command line history function so as to be able
to repeat the command each time I need it. I also run the command as
root as I found using rsync as an ordinary user led to errors the
copied data, some of which is in binary format.

the command I use is simply (where landing is the host name of my
data server box)

rsync -avz landing:/var/lib/geneweb/ /var/lib/geneweb

I'll leave you to look at the man page for an explanation of what this
does.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server