Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: Jonathan Hudson
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:02:25 +0100
Philip Stubbs <philip@???> wrote:

> You do have to be aware that at different times of the day, the
> signal will vary. IIRC about 2 in the afternoon is particularly bad
> as the arrangement of the satellite constellation means that over the
> UK they tend to be nearer the horizon. A human body will also act as
> a good shield the the GPS signal. If you are out walking, ideally
> you wand one that can be fitted to your hat :-)

Sensitivity also varies between models. I walk a lot in the New Forest;
previously a Garmin etrex of about 3 years vintage would be lose the
signal a great deal (typically when worn with a neck lanyard in
a shirt pocket), so I took to carrying it on a hat (which looked
really stupid, but mainly worked). It would still drop out in
moderate tree coverage.

Newer GPS are (in my experience) much more sensitive. The Wintec WBT201
that I now use (bluetoothed to a Nokia N800 for mapping and display) is
fantastic in this regard; stick it in a shirt pocket and forget about
it. Just keeps working even under the heaviest tree cover. Most of
time, it works in the house as well.

-jonathan