Re: [Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty
Ian Park wrote:
> I have a fairly similar setup to Sean's: Tyan Thunder MoBo with 2 x
> Opteron, each with 2GB RAM, and an XfX nvidia 8800GTS graphics card.
>
> I used another box to download the nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com
> and burned it to a CD-RW (actually, I grabbed both the 32-bit & 64-bit
> versions, 'cos I dual boot the new box with 32-bit & 64-bit versions
> of Ubuntu).
>
> After I'd installed Feisty, I let it crash out of trying to start gdm
> and logged in at a text console, then
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install build-essential
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> I then mounted the CD-RW,
>
> cd /media/cdrom/IA32
> sudo sh NV->
>
> and away it went. By the time it had finished, I was able to rebooy
> and gdm came up fine.
>
> HTH
>
> Ian

Okay, fixed it.

Basically I went to the card manufacturer's site (BFG) and there were a
few clues in the forums about bugs producing similar problems but
nothing specific. A quick look at the latest drivers they were
recommending from Nvidia to fix the bugs showed they were a minor
version or two further on from the Ubuntu offering, so I downloaded them
and installed with Envy, having purged all of the Ubuntu packages first.
Envy did its magic and the Nvidia drivers were working when I rebooted.

All that remains to see now is whether they are stable. The display is
certainly updating much faster and it is a lot easier on the eye.

Whatever people may think of Envy, it worked and it negated the need for
dropping back to the command line, which has got to be a good thing for
the technically challenged.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sean