[Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] BFG Nvidia 8800 GTS + Ubuntu Feisty
> From: Sean Gibbins <sean@???>

> Basically I am running Ubuntu Feisty 32-bit with the aforementioned BFG
> nVidia 8800 GTS graphics card. Upon installation the nv driver was
> selected by default and was, as expected, utterly pants, so I swapped it
> out for the vesa driver until I could get the nVidia drivers installed.

> Unperturbed I tried installing the nvidia drivers via the package from
> the nvidia site, but got exactly the same result.

Your old Shuttle had the same problems when I put Ubuntu 64
Feisty on it! The are probably two issues - hunt the Ubuntu
forums for the gory details.

1) Edit the grub menu file to set a sensible default resolution
by adding the phrase "VGA=xxx" where xxx is probably 762 or
somesuch - this forces the splash screen to be displayed in a
sensible resolution.

2) The Nvidia installer has probably got something wrong in
X11.conf - I gave up and Vic Watson fixed it for me, but it was
something along the lines that the display name was a string
rather than the name referred to elsewhere.

These issues are discussed in detail at
http://bugs.launchpad.net

Regards, Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691