Re: [Hampshire] Off topic: scifi question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Off topic: scifi question
Paul Tansom wrote:
> ** Jim Kissel <jlk@???> [2007-07-04 16:16]:
>
>> While discussing the pro and cons of a cheap notebook at a "Best Buy"
>> shop in the USA, we got onto the subject of Science Fiction, and "Have
>> you read any good ones lately". The sales person suggested a trilogy of
>> books called
>>
>> Kapoc or Kapok/Kapac or similar. One was made into a film with Patrick
>> Swayze, but this may be a mistake.
>>
>> The story is about an alien visitor who is writing reports back to HQ,
>> but he's been judged insane and the only (earth) people he has contact
>> with are his fellow inmates and the staff.
>>
>> I don't know the correct spelling and I haven't been able to find a film
>> with P. Swayze in it that syncs with the description.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any help?
>>
> ** end quote [Jim Kissel]
>
> I suspect you are talking about the film K-Pax with Kevin Spacey.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-PAX_(film)
> http://www.k-pax.com/
>
> which, although I didn't know until now I've checked is based on a
> series of books:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-PAX
>
> I may have to investigate.

IIRC the film got luke-warm reviews, but I can't really comment as I
haven't seen it. The IMDB rating of 7.1 would indicate it's worth a look
I guess.

If anyone wants a really good Fantasy/Thriller read of a earthy/visceral
nature you could do a lot worse than 'The Lies Of Locke Lamora' by Scott
Lynch [http://tinyurl.com/2mzkok], which I rather enjoyed recently.
Spurred on by that I have also bought and am reading 'The Blade Itself'
by Joe Abercrombie [http://tinyurl.com/33uphs], which falls in a similar
genre but lacks the pace of The Lies Of Locke Lamora. It is still very
enjoyable nonetheless, with some thoroughly engaging characters. I think
both of them are first novels, for what it is worth.

Sean

*

*