Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem

Top Page
Author: James Ettle
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57eb5100.hantslug.org.uk.3137': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jun 27 09:41:29 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 09:08 +0100, Chris Aitken wrote:

> > "It depends" is normally the answer - if you are particularly paranoid
> > then the VPN is set to only allow vpn traffic in (the theory AIUI being
> > that if someone had hijacked your PC then at least they can't hack
> > "live" on the box (unless the VPN also allows the traffic).
>
> The OS is XP. Once logged into the VPN _everything_ goes through the
> VPN. Can't even access my router.

Oooh... yes, I remember using PPTP under XP and wondering how to set it
up to only route a particular subnet (something/16) over the tunnel and
keep the default route to my own router. Trivial under Linux etc. with
route or pptpconfig, but I gave up

It's odd that you can't contact your router (in fact I'm kinda reneging
on my previous e-mail here since normally only the default route gets
mucked up, the interface's local subnet route shouldn't change); isn't
this necessary for the tunnel to work at all? What do you get when the
VPN is up and you run "route PRINT" from a cmd box?

> > Could hot swap with USB port if it's not too fiddly. You can get
> > USB->parallel converters. In fact I have one somewhere I used to use
> > if you want it.
>
> Ideally I want something that needs no interuption or user input, so
> the wife can print from her laptop, and I can print from mine (from
> within the VPN).

Another possible work-around for this is to set up a Linux/BSD box as
the VPN client and use it as a gateway with NAT (e.g., use DHCP to
configure your XP notebook's routing tables to use this machine as a
gateway for the VPN destination network, and then SNAT or MASQ at the
gateway).

James

--
James Ettle                                        jhe@???