Re: [Hampshire] sudo

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] sudo
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> I've always thought that having no proper root login on Ubuntu
> (Dapper) was pretty stupid, but can anyone explain this?
>
> After working quite happily at the command line all morning, I
> suddenly got:
>
> $ sudo su
> Password:
> chris is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
>
> After another attempt:
>
> $ sudo su
> Sorry, user chris may not run sudo on localhost.
>
> So, NOW what do I do?

Hi Chris,

Assuming the machine is within easy reach, how about Knoppix or a rescue
disc to have a look at the sudoers file and fix if necessary?
Alternatively are there any other users set up with root access via sudo?

I recently set root passwords on my Ubuntu machines. Having read this I
am glad that I did!

Sean