Re: [Hampshire] mmv & wildcard expansion in bash

Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mmv & wildcard expansion in bash
On Monday 18 June 2007 17:28, john lewis wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:58:50 +0100
>
> Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> > While some people have a preference for KDE, Gnome or something
> > else, it's hard to imagine a desktop system of any kind that
> > doesn't use some Qt or GTK applications, the list of flagship apps
> > that use one technology or the other is just too long.
> >
> > * Firefox/Thunderbird
> > * K3B
> > * Amarok
> > * GIMP
> > * Opera
> >
> > With disk space cheap and plentiful, and all modern distros having
> > sensible package management, it's hardly much pain to run a desktop
> > system with most of GNOME and KDE installed.
>
> I may actually have a system a little more up to date than the ENIAC
> Alan suggested but I until very recently I didn't have any system with
> a hard disk larger than 30Gb. This box has, I think, an 80Gb disk
> which is only 50% utilised so I could go mad and install kde stuff .
>
> But what? A test-run at installing digikam wanted to install the
> following:-
>
> cdparanoia cdrdao digikam dvd+rw-tools enscript exiv2 gdb
> genisoimage hal hal-info k3b kamera kcontrol kdebase-bin kdebase-data
> kdebase-kio-plugins kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins
> kdeprint kdesktop kfind kicker kipi-plugins kmail konqueror kooka
> pkg-config pmount poster procmail psutils vcdimager
>
> Plus all the lib*'s that go with them.

I must admit I'm with you on this. Aptitude/apt-get tends to pull in the big
meta-packages that suck down everything if you let them. You can install KDE
and I presume GNOME piece by piece, but you have to carefully install the
core components first, otherwise you get everything!

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced
    -- anon