[Hampshire] Using at command with xmessage

Author: Clive Woodfine
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Using at command with xmessage
I am trying to send myself an alarm call in a few minutes time. If I
run 'xmessage "Wake Up"' from the command line in Bash a little window
pops up showing Wake Up.

If I run 'at now + 2 minutes' then press enter I get
at>          At which point I enter 'xmessage '"Wake Up"' and press

enter which gives
at>          I then do Ctrl D and get
at> <EOT>

job 42 at 2007-06-18 16:38
[clive@Core ~]$

The at command seems to work as I get a mail saying
Error: Can't open display:

I have tried all combinations of enter and Ctrl D I can think of but
can't get xmessage to show up. I have also used 'cd /etc' instead of
xmessage but the working directory does not change.

Is it the way Bash interprets the call?

What am I doing wrong?

--
Clive Woodfine