Re: [Hampshire] mmv & wildcard expansion in bash

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] mmv & wildcard expansion in bash
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:05:14 +0100
Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> wrote:

> I don't use mmv but it looks from the man page that you need to be
> a bit more specific with the match, eg:
>
> mmv "p*.jpg" "barbecue#1.jpg"
>
> should give you barbecue1010001.jpg etc
>
> mmv "p????*.jpg" "barbecue#5.jpg"
>
> should give you barbecue001.jpg etc

Thanks Peter

I hadn't realised that '*' couldn't expand to cover the whole of
'p1010001' and that I needed to specify it using a series of '?'.

I'll give it another go.

> Alternatively use DigiKam which can create date-based
> subdirectories and do dynamic renaming as you download from the
> camera (and all sorts of other goodies such as remembering which
> ones you've already downloaded, auto rotating etc).

I hadn't thought of using DigiKam in the past as I cannot unload
files directly from the camera but have to use a usb card reader as an
intermediary but I'll have another look at DigiKam as it sounds
quite useful.

-
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package