[Hampshire] SATA Hotplug - anyone had any experience?

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] SATA Hotplug - anyone had any experience?
Hi All.

I'm trying to get some removable bays working...

I've got SATA drives in them. SATA hotplug is supposed to be supported
from kernel 2.6.19 (I'm currently using 2.6.21 from FC7. but it doesn't
seem to behave any differently from earlier kernels).

Thing is - nothing seems to happen. I don't see anything in syslog or
dmesg on removal or insertion. If I don't do anything with the drive, I
can re-insert & the box doesn't even seem to notice (I haven't tried
inserting a different drive - I suspect that might go badly wrong).

If I try to do something with the drive whilst it's removed, the libata
error handling gets invoked. I get a soft reset of the port, and the drive
starts working. But there are only so many retries - if I leave it a bit
longer, libata decides the drive has gone away and detaches the port - so
my /dev/sdX node goes away. the only thing I've found that gets past this
is a full reboot :-(

Anyone know what I should be doing? I *need* to get this working, even if
it means custom patches to the kernel...

Vic.