Re: [Hampshire] Recommended Book - But....

Author: Chris Liddell
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommended Book - But....
At 14:38 14/06/2007 +0100, you wrote:

>Chris Liddell wrote:
> > There are other aspects of ESR's "politics" that I don't like - but you've
> > got to respect the guy, I doubt there would be OSS, and an lot of other
> > stuff that's built on the back of OSS, if it weren't for ESR.
> >

>Respect where it's due, however RMS's politics could not be more different
>(I    like some of RMS's personal politics and can't really argue and
>don't understand others, rather than dislike).

I was referring to "politics" in the restricted sense of the world of
software, rather than in the wider sense of governments and the like.

>However that's a fascinating facet of the Open Source movement where there
>is still collaboration where it matters - more 'what works' than 'beer/speech'.

True, but it sometimes frustrates me when it feels like there more effort
going into the open vs closed source debates than is actually going into
developing either of them (I know that's an exaggeration, but it really
does feel like that sometimes).

And I didn't mean to imply that my respect for ESR is grudging, by any means.

But I think it's now very important, and more pertinent, to promote OSS on
its (very real) merits, rather than on its (alleged) moral superiority.

>IMH'umbleO

;-)

Chris