[Hampshire] DNS servers - Squish

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] DNS servers - Squish
I was reading through DebianPlanet and came across a mention of
"Squishywishywoo's DNS checker" at http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/

just for fun I entered the IP address of one of the 2 Zen DNS servers
and at the end of masses of output got this result:

50.0% of queries will end in failure at 212.23.8.1 (ns0.zen.co.uk) -
no answers

50.0% of queries will end in failure at 212.23.3.1 (ns1.zen.co.uk) -
no answers

Is this good, bad or just normal?

inputting hantslug.org.uk gives lots of stuff that I don't really
understand but has a more positive final result than the above - I
think

(too long to past into this email so you will have to try
it for yourselves)

the same article gives a link to this SLUG posting
http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2006/12/msg00154.html

which may be of interest to anyone else like me who has no idea how
DNS lookups work

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package