Re: [Hampshire] Printers

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printers
On Thursday 07 June 2007 14:22, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 01:56:09PM +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > A while back, I asked for some suggestions for getting a printer.
> > As an update, I've finally purchased something. After ignoring
> > everyone's suggestions, I went for a Xerox Phaser 8560. This is
> > a colour duplex laser printer, and is fast and produces good
> > quality prints.
>
>    I looked at a Phaser printer in about 1995, for the company I was
> working for (was made by someone else back then). It's a wax transfer
> device, using, as you said, solid ink sticks. The quality was very
> nice (and seemed to keep its colour over along period, unlike inkjet
> inks), but the printer took forever to warm up to a usable state from
> cold.

It can take a while to warmup (maybe a couple of minutes at most),
but not really any longer than any other colour laser that I've
used. Time to print an A4 sheet from cold is still less than what
it took my inkjet.

However, I believe the warm up/cool down process wastes ink, so
it's not very ink efficient if all you print is 1 sheet of paper
a day. I don't print very often, but when I do I tend to print
large documents, so it should be okay.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???