[Hampshire] Re: It was all going so well ...

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: It was all going so well ...
Well, it's (sort of) fixed. The gory details and fixes can be
found at:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usplash/+bug/86666
Title:
Feisty crashes after grub if usplash enabled (amd64)

Basically, grub may die if you don't specify a VGA
configuration. Words like "underwhelmed" cross my lips. I'm also
considerably underwhelmed by the fact that the default screen
resolution for everything is 1600x1200, since (sorry, Sean) the
lovely Shuttle box is connected to one of our 10+ year old
generic 17" monitors that refuses to die, and doesn't support
1600x1200. If you've seen the kit in African schools, you'll
understand why this is a problem.

Now where, oh where, is the size of the login screens
(name/password) configured? It really can't be beyond the wit of
man to inherit the grub screen size, or to define it one place
only until X boots? I need to do this so that I can read the
(expletive deleted) screens. When that's fixed, I can get on
with making a living so that I go buy another widescreen LCD
monitor, or am I going to hit another (expletive deleted)
nightmare?

Stephen
P.S. Thanks, Vic

--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691