[Hampshire] OpenOffice.org 2.2.0 vs Word 2007 [OT]?

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] OpenOffice.org 2.2.0 vs Word 2007 [OT]?
Hi,

Sorry if this post is a little off-topic.

We're currently using OpenOffice 2.2.0 and Word 2000 at work and we will
soon be evaluating Word 2007. I was wondering if anyone has experience
of Word 2007 and would care to share their experiences.

Of particular importance to us is stability (no crashes) and gracefully
handling a wide range of RTF documents. Both of which are causing us
occasional problems within OpenWriter 2.2.0. Unfortunately I cannot
submit a bug to OpenOffice since the example documents for the bugs are
all confidential (Most annoying).

My initial findings:
* Inability of OpenOffice to save a password protected document. This
is not a problem for us.
* Office 2007's user interface is based on Microsoft's new ribbon
interface and not the usual file menu stuff. This should just need some
extra user training.

Thanks,

Simon