Re: [Hampshire] RFC - I-D advice

Author: Andrew McDonald
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] RFC - I-D advice
Hi Damian,

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 02:58:00AM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> I have been working on an experimental archive project for two and a half
> years now and now have got to the stage where it looks like a protocol. I
> have formulated a generic brief after much deliberation. See draft brief
> below. A few Lug members have been testers helping me with understanding
> the process.
>
> Now although the work may never turn into and RFC the ideas could, I
> think, be worked into an I-D (Internet draft).
>
> Can anyone advise, or has anyone been involved with producing such a
> document and if so offer advice? I realise that many are submitted and
> many fail.

I've written a few Internet Drafts and been acknowledged as a
contributor in a couple of RFCs. So, I know something of the workings
of the IETF, RFC Editor, etc.

Though, of course, any old crackpot can publish an I-D. :-)
(Look for some beginning draft-terrell-... if you don't believe me.)

> Here is the protocol name and the brief:
>
> Protocol name:
>
> DIAP - Distributed Internet Archive Protocol. Also see Long-Term Archive
> Service Requirements RFC4810 and Long-term Archive Protocol (LTAP) I-D. I
> have yet to fully study the above documents but have read some - they are
> very detailed so it will take some more time to reference these and other
> RFC's and I-D's I have yet to find.

[snip]
> Any advice or guidance would be appreciated, even if it to contact third
> parties etc.
>
> I may be barking up the wrong tree with parts of this project but there
> seems to be evolving a generic Internet archive strategy. Anyway, better
> to keep it in the public arena:)

I can't really offer free consultancy (since my employer probably
wouldn't like that - although they'd be happy if you've got money to
pay for it ;-)

However, a few random thoughts:
I'm not familar with what is going on in the LTANS working group
myself. However, the fact that it is in the security area would suggest
a particular slant to the work.

If you want to move it towards being an RFC:
Are you intending to try to do this through the LTANS working group?
Or, are you aiming for an Informational RFC via the
independent submission route? Or, is there a general demand for this
work from other people, so that chartering new work in the IETF would
be appropriate?

I terms of writing an I-D, you ought to be familiar with the IETF 'note
well' (and hence BCP78 and BCP79). Also, having written drafts in Word,
LaTeX, nroff and xml2rfc, the latter is definitely the preferred option
(since it gets the boilerplate right, will do a table of contents,
cross references, etc.)

Seeing that you're at soton.ac.uk, I think Tim Chown is the sole
remaining IETFer there, since most of the IPv6 crowd seem to have gone.

regards,
Andrew
--
Andrew McDonald