Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5790a100.hantslug.org.uk.30652': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun May 13 12:53:23 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi Andy,

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 11:49 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 01:38:56PM +0200, Alan Pope wrote:
> > http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo - A url I have embedded in my brain that
> > gets rattled off whenever anyone moans about not having root. It details
> > quite clearly how to change that standard behaviour. This is not an
> > issue in my book.
>
> After what happened with the chap who buggered sudo by recursively
> making /var world readable though, I would suggest that Ubuntu
> should consider telling people to set a root password and keep it
> safe, plus allow root logins. Otherwise you can't recover from that
> without rebooting, as the hapless admin discovered.

Surely that's why you have a recovery mode that drops you to the root
prompts? So you can get out of sticky situations caused by silly
admins/users?

All the best,
Al.