Re: [Hampshire] Shell script not working under Ubuntu Edgy /…

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Tony Whitmore, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shell script not working under Ubuntu Edgy / Feisty
On Fri, May 4, 2007 at 09:41:05 +0100 (+0100), Tony Whitmore wrote:
> I've ended up changing /bin/sh to point to /bin/bash not /bin/dash as the
> software, once installed, has a lot of shell scripts that assume /bin/sh
> points to bash. Rather than editing them all, I changed the symlink. I'm not
> sure whether this will break anything else though? Any alarm bells?

Scripts that require bash-isms should either be fixed or use
/bin/bash. If they are part of Ubuntu I'd file bugs (I'd be suprised
if there were many, since Debian probably rooted out most of them some
time ago).

Can't see anything wrong with your command there - not sure if "echo
-e" is allowed, but I wouldn't call it a "bad substitution".

Does "dash -x scriptname" yield any more clues?

Adrian