Re: [Hampshire] Ruby on Rails communities in the UK

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ruby on Rails communities in the UK
Dominic Cleal wrote:
> On Thu, 03 May 2007 14:51:25 +0000, Simon Capstick wrote:
>> I have several apps I want to write for internal use but for my first
>> project (to be GPL'ed) I want to create a simple web interface to
>> allow people to enable an auto-responder and/or email forwarding on
>> an Exim4 server. It will automagically fiddle with a user's .forward
>> Exim filter file.
>
> Have you looked at Sieve and ManageSieve? Sieve is a basic filtering
> language that can be used in .forward files and is understood by Exim.
>
> The idea of ManageSieve I believe is that you can run a ManageSieve
> server and users can then edit their .forward file remotely, using a
> ManageSieve compliant user interface. Potentially that could then be
> integrated into a web site, or an MUA etc (there's an extension for
> Thunderbird for instance).
>
> Cyrus apparently has a ManageSieve server built into it, though I'm not
> aware of any other major implementations, which is a shame. I'd be
> interested to hear if anybody knows of one.

Thanks for the advice Dominic. I had considered ManageSieve and the
sieve Thunderbird plugin. However the plugin just seemed to be a sieve
text editor rather than a point and click GUI, which for everyday users,
is a requirement for me.

I guess I could just write a RoR based ManageSieve GUI but that's a
bigger project than I wanted to do. I'm also much more familiar with
Exim's filter specification.

Simon