Re: [Hampshire] Re:Self-rebooting ADSL routers

Author: Jacqui caren
To: Stephen Pelc, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re:Self-rebooting ADSL routers
Stephen Pelc wrote:
> Simon said:
>

>>You probably won't find my answer useful but our Cisco 877 routers
>>reconnect without any problems. I wouldn't consider this for an home
>>user though since software updates/upgrades are by paid subscription.
>

> Changing to a better modem/router pair, even if much more
> expensive, is going to be cheaper than fighting the Demon/BT
> combination. The current favourites seem to be Draytek and
> Cisco. Draytek said that a V29xx and external Ethernet modem
> gives the best results, and I have no experience with Cisco kit.
>
> This is MPE's business connection, so we need to make it
> reliable again.

It may not relevant or help but...

You have VJ header compression disabled?

We got massive corruption some years ago because some ISDN kit
connecig to demon insisted upon using MS VJc rules and Demon's
kit insisted upon sticking to the standard - the effect was
any large packets under load became hopelessly corrupted
(ftp and pdf downloads via web ended up as gibberish).

Demons only response was "not our problem - PPO".

Jacqui