Re: [Hampshire] Horizon tonight

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Horizon tonight
On Tue, May 1, 2007 at 21:56:29 +0100 (+0100), Vic wrote:
> I've just watched a cracking bit of telly. Some science without too much
> voodoo.

Heh, was just complaining about the same program :-)

Just about zero info on the immensely cool LHC, no mention of the
recent problems, the technology, the background. Lots of inaccuracy -
they implied that CERN was just built for the LHC - the tunnel was
used by the (courtesy wikipedia) LEP from 1989 to 2000. Huge amounts
of pointless waffle, irrelevant "random picture of the sky for a
minute to fill in some time".

It's not just dumbing down that narks me (_way_ below the person in
question would never watch horizon in the first place), but the
almost complete lack of content. It's as if they are averse to doing
anything scientific when they can spout some waffle for 50 mins.

The narrating was particularly dire, usual "let's repeat everything
three times and then get scientists to repeat it twice more" I've
learnt to expect. That Brian Cox bloke has done much better stuff
google videos seem to have some (can't check ATM due to no flash on
x86-64 desktop - no 32bit environment setup currently).

After last years episode on "computers outsmarting humans" (I think it
was that) which was diabolically bad, I thought I would never watch
another episode. After tonight, I never will.

> What clever stuff? xscreensaver :-)

Yep - got that :-) Seemed a nice room filled with lots of monitors
and projector screens, but all running screensavers! Did they not
have DPMS support?

Adrian