Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Failed internet connection from Windows…

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Failed internet connection from Windows ondualboot computer

> Then why does the same card work in Linux, from the Linux partition? That

is
> what truly baffles me.
>
> It is set-up correctly according to the icon for the network. (Right

click
> it, go to properties etc.)
>
> > Try replacing the network card and if the problem solves itself.
>
> As I said, I can't see how it can be a hardware problem, given that the

Linux
> partition has no problem. :-(
>
> Lisi

I don't know but I had this sort of problem (can't remember what) on one of
my computers. It worked in Suse Linux but refused to work properly in
Windows. I replaced the network card and the problem went.

Linux does not address the network card the same way Windows does. A minor
change but remember a PC motherboard is a complex beast running at hundreds
of MHz. Signal reflections (at High MHz frequencies an incorrect impedance
match will create a signal reflection) which have no effect when run with
one sequence of instructions may have an effect when it runs in another
sequence of instructions.

Borrow a network card and see if the problem goes away.

John Eayrs