Re: [Hampshire] Whats my size??

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Whats my size??

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5690b100.hantslug.org.uk.18238': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Mar 10 21:33:47 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:44:02PM +0000, Tim wrote:
> First the simple bit, whats the command from the command line to
> tell me what a folder size is complete with all sub folder and files
> etc. (i don't mean individaul folder sizes but the whole home folder
> as one figure)

$ du -hs directoryname

> The reason I ask, I run KDE, if I open konqueror in (file mode) and
> if I right click on my home folder (/home), it will tell me it is
> 5.1gb in size.

> But at the bottom of the same window it tells me that I have 93.2gb free out
> of 103.9gb 11% used which is about 10.7gb difference (my home folder is on
> its own partiton (hda6)), so if my home folder is 5.1gb in size where the
> other 5.6gb gone???

There's a number of reasons for this (and should probably be made
an FAQ on the wiki). Probably the two top ones are:

- There's a large number of small files on the disk and you're not
using ReiserFS (or you have notail set), in which case the space at
the end of each disk block for each file is unused, reducing the free
space, but not counting towards the total file size.

- There's a large file that's being held open by some running
process, but which has been deleted.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
    --- We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ---