Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Ubuntu

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Ubuntu
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:51:39AM +0000, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Well, not specifically Ubuntu necessarily, but it is beginning to be the
> case that it is better to mention Ubuntu here than Debian to get a rush
> of suggestions ;)

That would be the helpful community of Ubuntu users in effect I suspect :p

> Anyway, having thought about my wireless setup I realise that I have to
> have WPA support since I use it extensively on other wireless locations
> (customers, parents, inlaws, etc.). I dug out my spare wireless pcmcia
> card and that turns out to be a broadcom chipset (a Linksys card) and
> Ubuntu bearly knows the card is there - first plugin it recognised there
> was an unknown card plugged in, secont time it noted that it was from
> Linksys and that they were now owned by Cisco, but no sign of it getting
> a driver or showing up in the networking configuration.

Which exact card is it?

Have you seen this page (and the pages linked from it):-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

> So, does anyone have any suggestions of decent pcmcia wireless cards
> (54g compatible) that support wpa under linux?

The following page may be useful here:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo

Cheers,
Al.