Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Prism54

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless, WPA and Prism54
** Chris Aitken <cs.aitken@???> [2007-03-06 09:20]:
> >I've got a prism54 card in my laptop running ubuntu edgy, and I'm fairly
> >sure that wpa isn't supported (yet?) with the new prism54 driver. I just
> >use 128-bit wep with mac address filtering at the access point.
> >
> >Having played around with wep and wpa on another machine with an atheros
> >card, I was getting almost twice the connection speed using wep, so I'm
> >not altogether sorry not to be using it on my lappy.
>
> As Peter says, the Prism54 does not support WPA. You'll have more
> success nailing jelly to a wall.

** end quote [Chris Aitken]

Thanks for the two replies confirming my suspicions. I shall either have
to rework my entire network or sort out an alternative card - hmm :(

For my next challenge I'll be trying to get a desktop hooked up to the
wireless network using Ubuntu and only a single (wireless) network card.
Sounds like I'll be having fun with the USB key trying to get the
necessary extra packages onto it - either that or opening the case to
install a standard NIC and running a cable across the house temporarily!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/
Aptanet Ltd. | Registered in England | Company No: 4905028