Re: [Hampshire] nfs - Mounting users

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] nfs - Mounting users
On 05/03/07, Peter Brooks <peter@???> wrote:
> I need the directory when mounted to be owned by the group of kubeadmin,
> however the two /etc/passwd's cannot be in sync.
> Any ideas?

You can run a UID/GID remapper such as ugidd on the client. I believe
that there are server remapping daemons too, although I've never used
UID/GID remapping myself.

For your own sanity, I'd suggest making the GIDs match. That's not
quite the same as making the whole of /etc/group the same on both
machines and is feasible if you pick the machine to change the GIDs
wisely, so that you have the smallest number of files to change the
ownership of.