Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Odd Wireless LAN problem

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Odd Wireless LAN problem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Malpass" <rob@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2007 8:26 PM

>>> refund. The shop is on the way to work so I took the laptop into work
>>> with
>>> me and (for other reasons) powered it up. Surprise surprise - 3
>>> wireless
>>> LANs detected at work. It wouldn't let me connect to any (need a key)
>>> but
>>> next conclusion: no problem with onboard WLAN.
>>>
>>> So it means my PC will play ball at work, but not at home. My wife's
>>> PC
>>> is
>>> fine at home. Thinking it may be a signal strength issue (all WLANs at
>>> work were detected weak) I've just set the laptop right next to the
>>> access
>>> point and still no joy.
>>>
>>> All this is under XP pro, but I have also booted the machine off an
>>> Ubuntu
>>> disk with no WLAN access. It was that initially that made me think its
>>> onboard LAN was broken. Havaid said that I've never used Ubuntu (or
>>> any
>>> Linux distro) with WLAN so if there's a step I'm missing, please shout -
>>> expected it to work out of the box as most other Ubuntu things have (and
>>> that's no disrespect to any other distro).
>>>
>>> FWIW it's a Toshiba tecra T9000 and I know about the WLAN switch and
>>> WLAN
>>> hotkey combination. If anyone could shed any light on this, that would
>>> be
>>> good.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Rob
>>>

>>> --
>>> Please post to: Hampshire@???
>> 01/03/2007 14:43
>>

> Ah - I'd not thought of that. In fact the AP supports 802.11b only.
> Looks like I either need the equivalent setting on the laptop - or a new
> AP.
>
> cheers
> Rob
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 14:43

Forgive me replying to my own post, but there is no switch to mixed mode on
the AP or on the used laptop. Does this mean that:

* My wife's laptop (bought last month) can revert back to 802.11b
* My older laptop (at least 2 years older but bought yesterday) can't
connect to 802.11b but (presumably) can connect to 802.11g (if that's what
they had in my office).

It sounds implausible to me that the older PC can connect to the new but not
the old - but I'm no expert with WLAN.

Cheers
Rob