Re: [Hampshire] Wake on Lan

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wake on Lan
On Monday 26 February 2007 11:19, Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> Has any body done this? I am able to wake my computer up within the
> home network but not able to wake the computer up over the
> internet. Is this possible to do this over internet?
>
> Fintan
>

> --
>
> My Blog http://www.finllfixit.co.uk/

WOL requires you to be able to send the WOL packet to the card. If
you're behind any kind of a router or firewall you're unlikely
either to have or WANT external access to your internal IP.

Perhaps you could have an always-on PC which sends the WOL following
an external request, then you could put a small hole through the
firewall just to allow that type of request through.

HTH, Peter