Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Fintan Gaughan
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
On 26/02/07, Vic <lug@???> wrote:
> > Don't know if I am thinking on the right lines here.
>
> I suspect not...
>
> > lets say ports at work is open at 33.. do I need to open my ports at
> > home server 33 .
>
> That depends on you.
>
> You *could* use pretty much any port you like for your SSH server - but
> the default is port 22.
>
> If your work is blocking outbound connections to port 22, that's just
> never going to work until and unless you talk your firewall admins into
> opening up a pinhole for you.
>
> Now you *could* run your SSH server on port 33 (if that's what you want) -
> and if port 33 outbound isn't blocked, that should work. But you'll need
> to configure any SSH clients you've got to use that port (they'll all
> default to 22), and you're still at the mercy of the firewall admins (who
> might see some traffic they don't recognise & block the port as a
> precaution).
>
> A much better bet would be to decide on the port number you wish to use
> (22 is always a good choice), and go and talk to the firewall people.
>
> > I am using putty at work is it likely to block any out going ports? do
> > you see what I am getting at here?
>
> Putty won't block any ports. That would be the job of a firewall, not an
> SSH client...
>
> Vic.

aaah its all becoming clear now.. thanks
I know a few ports open here as I use some software to get some Cad
drawings etc.
They are pretty cool here the admins as one guy uses skype to talk/see
his dad in Australia
As a Hard of hearing person I use skype at home as I can turn the
volume up and find it clear compared to ordinary phones but of course
I am not telling them that seeing everyone get hassled of being rung
up every 5 min :-)

Fintan