Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian

Author: Berni Elbourn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu + Debian
On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 10:53 +0000, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> It was Debian sarge chosed that because its.. um stable :-).
> I could try testing .

Just my experience. I came to Debian from a past in slackware and SuSE.

I found to my stunned delight that Debian testing just about matches
SuSE releases in terms of stability and versions. Another joy was that
upgrades actually seem to work in Debian which was very very welcome.

The downside is that testing moves on very quickly and there are a lot
of updates to keep an eye on. Recently testing has got its own security
update cycle so tracking testing has become a real option for production
use.

However, I choose stable plus its security updates for sites that need
to be rock solid. The secret trick (shhh - don't tell your friends) is
to enable Debian backports to get new kernels that have been crafted to
work in stable. This gives you stable + kernel 2.6.18 right now. More:

http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php

Good luck,

Berni