Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feb 10 TechTalks Videos?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58526100.hantslug.org.uk.21470': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 21 17:03:27 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:27:19AM +0000, Jim Kissel wrote:
> Is it just me and my setup/configuration that is having problems getting
> sound out of the WMV format files? I'm running Ubuntu EE and Totem-xine
> with the latest w32codecs, but both the small and large WMV files from
> Tony Whitmore's talk on Ubuntu fail to produce and sound. I've no
> problem with the OGG files, and DVD's and CD's play ok on my machine.

The main issue with the audio in the WMV files is that it is encoded using the
MP3 codec for the audio, which isn't shipped as part of most distros for
patent reasons. It is however included as standard in Windows which is why
it's suitable for use in the WMV format. The FAQ on the website should help,
although the pages Alan recommended are even better:

http://www.hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TechTalks/WmvFAQ

It's worth noting that Feisty (7.04) makes it much easier to install
proprietary codecs on Ubuntu, if that's your bag.

Tony