Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help

Author: Graham Bleach
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Wireless help
On 17/02/07, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:
> wlan0     RT2500 Wireless  ESSID:"homenet"  Nickname:"default"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:0 dBm
>           RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:6F7A-6F6E-6573-616D-6900-0000-00   Security
> mode:restricted

Where do you live? I could do with some Internet access, as mine is
playing up :)

More seriously, now the list is open-archive, I would advise changing
your WPA key immediately.

Tx-power: 0 dBm doesn't look at all good, but I don't know how to fix
it or if there's an innocuous explanation.

> But there are no lights on the card or internet access, the machine thinks it
> working as the wireless network comes up saying it is connected and it then
> confuses itself as it also has eth0 which then fails to work until I ifdown
> wlan0 (I have dropped eth0 but the lan still failed to connect)
>
> I have mac filtering and wpa-psk with tkip on the AP, I have turned the
> encryption off but still no joy. Everything I have read says that the card is
> linux compatible.
>
> I know I could try ndiswrapper but as this card is confirmed as being linux
> compatible then I want to try and run it natively.
>
> Any suggestions?

Ensure the computer is a matter of inches from the AP and there are no
obstacles in its path. This will eliminate poor signal as a cause of
your problems. It's especially worth considering if the machine is
located in a different room to the AP.

I personally have had the ralink chipset (it was a Belkin card)
working fine with the rt2500 module compiled against a 2.6.17 kernel.
I'm pretty sure I had WPA-PSK using TKIP working too, but I ended up
not using it due to signal attenuation between the PC and the AP. I
believe some distros have the ralink drivers compiled into their
kernels.