Re: [Hampshire] Which company provides the best graphics dri…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which company provides the best graphics driversupport?
Alasdair Ross wrote:
> This moves me on to another question: How well supported are
> integrated graphics chips?
> I'm afraid I know very little about integrated graphics. Am I right
> in thinking that Intel graphics chips would be relatively well supported?
> My aim is to run Kubuntu with Beryl and, whilst I will be looking
> for a laptop with dedicated graphics, the majority seem to use
> integrated chips.

It comes down to price - low-end lappies tend to go with integrated
solutions that borrow variable amounts of RAM from the system, high-end
models tend to offer up branded cards with dedicated memory. If you are
going for eye candy and/or want to play 'proper' games I would go for
the latter, or be prepared for at least some degree of disappointment.

IME.

Sean